Monday, September 11, 2006

Pizza Parlour to Murlough Bay

I had a wonderful birthday this year. On Saturday Zoe and Hannah, with Dave and Jamie, took myself and Bert to the Pizza Parlour for (what else?) pizzas. As far as I can remember the Pizza Parlour has been in three different locations. Each time it moved it kept the dark red decor and the gingham and the black & white movie star pictures and collages. The tables are still adorned with empty Mateus Rose bottles as candle holders. The menu is as it always was. How long has it been trading? It must be at least 25 years. Height of sophistication it was back then - now it's an old, trusted and faithful friend. Zoe said that if you sit in the Pizza Parlour for long enough, sooner or later, you'll see every single person you know.

On Sunday Bert and I and the dogs went camping. We went to Murlough Bay, stopping off to tramp up, according to Bert, the highest hill in County Antrim. I didn't make it. I couldn't be bothered. Walking up hills on a boring path flanked with nothing but pine trees is no fun at all. Bert said the view from the top was amazing. He could see the Corkey Wind Farm and everything! Big dealaroo. If I walk out the lane, turn right, stroll up the road for three minutes and stand at the bottom of the Killyless Road I can see the wind farms at Corkey and Elliot's Hill and the wind turbine at Antrim Area Hospital.

Then when that dreary business was over we went to Murlough Bay which was wonderful and beautiful and I walked for miles. We camped in the spot recommended by Zoe and had a great evening.

SwineBlogger won't let me post pictures tonight. I'll get back to it later.

4 comments:

EveMaryBD said...

Happy Birthday Nelly! Do you know Ive always wondered about the Pizza Parlour. Ive lived here nearly 5 years and be coming up visiting for years before that and I've never darkened its door. D. says that as far as he knows it was the first and for a long time the only pizza place in B'mena. It reminds me of Fat Freddys [sadly no more] in Temple Bar Dublin....Murlough Bay one of the most bewitching places in Ireland..and just on our doorstep....when we build our house our view will be of the Corkey Wind Farms - won't Bert be jealous!

Nelly said...

Your hubby is right. The PP was the first pizza place in the 'Mena. You should get him to take you there.

When will your house be ready?

EveMaryBD said...

Considering we haven't even turned a sod yet - neighbour problem!(there's a story in this too but I will leave it to another time)and taking into account the alarming lack of urgency with which we conduct our business (seems to irk a lot of people round here)it will be ready when its ready as they say...

Nelly said...

Bert conducts all of his business with that same lack of urgency so I know what you're talking about.