Sunday, October 12, 2008

Money, Money, Money

It's not often that I find myself in agreement with the Pope. For I've always believed that money was an illusion. OK - it seems real enough when it's in your purse and because the other people believe in it too it's easy to go into town and swap that plastic or paper stuff for something tangible you can bring home and clutter up your house with.

When you've got that bit of extra money you really want to believe that it's real and that it's important. So you swap it for an ISA or a mortgage or stocks & shares. But then you find that's not really real at all. That it's only worth what everyone agrees it's worth at a moment in time. You find that expressions like 'safe as houses' and 'money in the bank' are nothing but a parcel of lies and keek.

I liked recessions and global financial meltdowns far better when I had fuck all.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me too.

Anonymous said...

Money is nothing. Land is everything. As long as I have land, I will survive. I learned that from "Gone with the Wind" and from my Irish Great Grandmother.

Hang on to Tara.