It's a cross between my mother's recipe and a Nigella Lawson recipe. This is it. I don't know if soda bread flour is sold outside of Ireland. Probably not. Sorry about that.
- 500g soda bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 50g butter
- 25g lard or more butter
- 1 egg beaten
- enough buttermilk to make up to 300 ml when added to beaten egg
- Preheat oven to 220°.
- Sift the dry ingredients together and rub in the butter thoroughly.
- Add the milk and stir very briefly.
- Knead lightly together on a floured surface.
- Roll and cut approx. 12 scones
- Bake for 10-15 minutes.