Sunday, October 27, 2013

Late Onset Allergies

I spent the greatest part of my life without allergies. Then in July 2011 I was stung by a honeybee and took a severe reaction to it. And that was that. Ever since I have taken the greatest care to avoid stings and I always know where my EpiPen is. Two years later and I never had another allergic reaction to anything. Until I went to Vancouver.

At first I didn't realise I was reacting to allergens but after a few days a pattern emerged. It seemed to be triggered by exposure to trees. It wasn't a severe reaction - just itchy hives all over any exposed skin. They faded within twenty minutes of getting indoors or into a vehicle.  I consulted a pharmacist and bought antihistamine tablets and all seemed to be well. I expected it all to go away on my return home.

Except it didn't. Any exposure to trees, wind or rain and I'm all blotchy and itchy with hives. My recent trip to Fanad really brought it to a head. I got wet a few times and any skin that came in contact with damp clothes was itchy and covered in hives. My face was a sight and so were my hands. Guess it is time to visit the GP.

8 comments:

Clairenewcastle said...

Just to say, I'd no allergies until a few years ago when with increasing severity I found I couldn't touch any plant without coming out in an itchy rash which lasted for months.
Having to give up dairy products over the last year for a different reason strangely cured my reaction to plants much to my shock.
So all I can suggest is - look to your diet. Hope it clears up soon.

Cuidado said...

Sudden allergies are not pleasant when traveling. I got hives once when I arrived in Mexico but did not know to what. I too had to get antihistamines to last the trip. I got them again a couple of weeks after I got home. Never figured it out. My youngest son (almost 28 has an allergy to honey bees but no other bees.

Nelly said...

Thanks for those insights. Clare - I have a slight suspicion that it might be dietary. I really hope not as I love dairy products. Cuidado - wondering if you still get allergies>

Grannymar said...

Were you on prescribed medication before or during your visit to Vancouver? If so get the GP to check it out.

You may remember a couple of years ago my hands and face looked like they had been deep fried in boiling oil after a visit to the Botanic gardens in Dublin. Turned out it was Doxycycline that caused my skin to be super sensative to sunlight. I was told it may never go away and I must wear sun screen outdoors 365.

Hope you get it sorted real soon.

Nelly said...

I do remember that. I was on no other meds other than ibufren but I did buy an over the counter pain killer in Vancouver. Forget what it was.

ganching said...

You are your mother's daughter.

Nelly said...

Ganching - I fear it is so.

Cuidado said...

I have allergies but don't normally get severe hives. The last time was that Mexico trip in 2000.