Thursday, December 04, 2014

December Daily Post, No. 4


I meet the eldest granddaughter from the school bus.

Guess what I did today in front of Daddy? 
Your Nativity Play? 
Yes!! 
Was it good? 
Yes. 
That's brilliant. Mummy and Evie and me will be seeing it tomorrow.

(Daddy had to go a day early as he is being a Wildling tomorrow.)

Bert is looking after Evie and you and I are going shopping. 
Oh good. Can we go to Sainsburys? 
No. We're going to the Spar like we did last week. 
But Sainsburys is much better than the Spar! There are far more things to buy and it's much bigger! 
That's why I want to go to the Spar. I don't have a lot of money today and if I go to Sainsburys I'll see lots of things I'd like and I won't be able to buy them. The Spar is a bit boring but it has all the things I need...

Lip trembles.

Oh Martha! You have to let Granny decide where she wants to shop. Here, if you stop crying and be a sensible girl I'll let you phone Hannah to let her know we're ready to pick up Ziggy.

(Occasionally I look after granddoggies as well as granddaughters)

I quickly dial the number and give her the phone. Then I swap a three year old car seat for a big girl's car seat. By the time I'm finished she is at Hannah's door taking charge of Ziggy. Her mood is well improved.

As we drive off I explain to her how I make decisions about where I'm going to shop. I mention Lidls.

Oh Granny, we could go to Lidls. It's not too far out of our way and...

Then I think. Lidls doesn't bombard me with choices. It has everything I need and it has wine. The Spar does not have wine.

OK. Let's go to Lidls.

She's delighted. She must really hate Cullybackey Spar.

We go round. First thing she gets me to buy is panini. I'm pleased that she ignores biscuits and confectionary. Then I'm strongarmed into buying two scoops of shelled almonds. At least they are healthy. I pick up my fruit and veg, my butter, my Earl Grey tea. There are toys. I leave her looking at them while I look for ginger. I return moments later and she has laid some packets on the floor and is gazing upon them intently. The packets come from a stand advertised as 'Princess Accessories' and they are,

  1. Plastic beads and bracelets
  2. Plastic tiaras
  3. Plastic high heeled shoes with ribbons

I ask her to return them to the stand in case someone steps on them. She complies like a good girl. Then she gazes into my face, Her eyes are beautiful, big and blue.

I really like the shoes Granny.
But Martha, I've already bought your Christmas present.
It doesn't have to be for Christmas Granny. It can be a replacement for the ones that Jess chewed. 
Martha. When I'm really old will you do my shopping for me?
Yes.
Will you take me everywhere I need to go?
Yes.

Her face is shining with delight and happiness. And it is not because she is looking forward to looking after me in my extreme old age, it is because she knows she is 'getting the shoes'. Then she chose the yellow ones and the pink ones for her sister.

I so adore being a Granny.

<><><><><>

Eye infection update? Getting better every day.

Preparations for Christmas? Looking forward to the Nativity Play tomorrow. Especially as I can now see.


3 comments:

Brig said...

My grandkids are very very good at this as well... but none have promised to take care of me...hummmm

Anonymous said...

Oh I love hearing about Martha and Evie, my own just-turned-four year old niece Isobel keeps me going, Sunday night she woke at 2am with a recurrence of a nasty headache, crying her little heart out, I went in to comfort her in my (maybe a little too short?) nightie t shirt, I told her I'd go get her special medicine and she said, between heart rending sobs, "and could you put some pants on please Antee An-juh-wee-ah?)

Nelly said...

I'm not counting on her to keep that promise Brighid. If she still loves me enough to visit when I'm really old I'll be happy. And Auntie Anon, I feel for you. The little one told me today that I had a very big bum while she only had a little one.