Sunday, July 24, 2016

Pessimist




So many weeds to pull and so much fruit to pick. I say to Bert,

The days aren't long enough,

And he says,

You can see them getting shorter too! Winter is coming!

Damn you Bert, I may have anxiety but you are a pessimist. Yet it may be that I have nurtured my own optimism as an antidote to my anxiety.

In the right (wrong) frame of mind I can turn any pleasant thought to a negative.

My word, the raspberries are doing fine this year,

To be followed by,

I wonder how many years I have left in which to enjoy raspberries.



Short lived delights like laburnum bring sad thoughts too. It is glorious in the few weeks when it blooms, so loud with busy pollinating insects. Evie calls it the corn tree because, to her, the drooping acid yellow blossom look like corn cobs. Every year the laburnum's glory is tinged with sadness as I remember that my time to enjoy it grows less and less.

Perhaps it is me who is the pessimist.

2 comments:

hootchinhannah said...

I was just talking to someone and they are using flowers to help them learn to let go of things. To enjoy their beauty while they are there and to make peace with letting them go. I don't think you are a pessimist. I think you are the optimist because you see how much beauty there is in life to appreciate.

Nelly said...

Thanks my darling. Looking forward to having you at home for a while.