Saturday, January 11, 2020

Screaming At The Moon

It's the Wolf Moon tonight, the first full moon of the year and so-called because wolves howl a lot at this time of the year. There was also penumbral lunar eclipse but too much cloud cover to see anything. It would have been better observed had it been last night when skies were clear and the moon, nearly full, was beautiful. No howling wolves here but foxes woke me from sleep with their screeching and screaming. It was close to the house, maybe as near as the orchard and when I opened the window I could hear twigs and branches snapping so maybe in the overgrown wilderness behind Hannah's rooms. 

I listened for a while. They were much too close to the chicken run for my liking although the hens were securely locked up. But, mating season and they were preoccupied with other matters. Hens were unperturbed as were the dogs. I closed the window and returned to bed. Excitement over.

Then dreamed an amusing dream about fervent Unionists rallying against Nationalism. A purple car containing Shinners was driving around Ballymena terrorising the locals. The Orange Order was mobilised, a pipe band skirled up and down Wellington Street and people strode purposefully around costumed as B Specials, WWI volunteers and nurses. There might have been wooden guns. My role was to pour oil on troubled waters, to bolster confidence, to explain that things weren't as bad as they thought. There was also something about working in a hairdressing shop in Harryville and wanting to give up the position, but feeling that I needed the money and then remembering that I was a pensioner and need never go out to work again. That was a relief. 

I woke up to Judy's cold, nudging nose and this gorgeous morning sky and...




wallflower in bloom. In January?






4 comments:

amanda said...

beautiful morning sky!

Nelly said...

Not so good this morning, rain and cloud. Still, thankful for rain when I think of the bushfires where you are. Hope you and yours are all well.

London Sister said...

Oooh! I feel included in that dream, having worked in the hairdressers in Harryville, the past is a foreign country and all that.....

Nelly said...

Your past most definitely played a role in my dream and I'm certain that your salon was a sprucer, cleaner place than my dream one. For some reason, my dreams always feature messy, even filthy interiors. I blame reading Freud at a tender age.