Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Beyond Redemption

Like many elderly folk Pearlie does not hear too well. However, in her case, that often depends on what is being said and who is saying it. For instance when Cousin Margaret or Aunt Lizzie are with her, Pearlie cannot understand a word I say. I'll speak to her and she'll look at me quizzically, screw up her face as if I'm speaking Mandarin or Gaelic, then turn to her relative and remark. "What did she say?"

I went into her room at midday today and asked her,

Well. Are you ready for something to eat? 
What? 
Do you want a bite of lunch? 
I cannae hear you. 
What do I usually ask you at this time of day?

She looked at the clock and barked at me,
An egg!

<><><><><>

For a long time now just as I've been settling down to sleep I've been mildly irritated by Pearlie starting to mumble and drone at around the midnight hour. I thought she might have been reading her Bible aloud and even though I found the droning noise annoying I felt I could not take exception to a lady in her eighties communing with her Saviour. I felt it would be denying her human rights.  There was also the matter of not giving her the pleasure of knowing she was getting on my nerves. But there was this one night I wanted to know for sure. Was it the Old Testament or the New? I crept down the stairs and found that she was not reading from the Gospels. She was merely saying her prayers and, like a child will do, she was praying for the people she knew. I listened for a while and my name was never mentioned. She obviously thinks that I am beyond redemption.


8 comments:

magsmcc said...

You have to be grateful for the Miss Evies of the world at times like these!

leitrim sister said...

You might have at the beginning of the list and you missed it?

Nelly said...

I'm always grateful for the small people but I suppose the thing to remember is that Pearlie was once a small person too. Yes, LS you could be right. I shouldn't be such a cynic.

Grannymar said...

Maybe Pearlie has you canonised already!

Is there a St Nelly of the Glens?

Nelly said...

I don't think Pearlie's faith allows for canonisation. I'd rather be St Nelly of the Climbing Flowers.

Natalie Vaughan said...

I especially enjoy blogs on Pearlie, I'm not sure why, but I really enjoy them!

Nelly said...

The perverse and joyless always have a certain comedic quality.

hootchinhannah said...

Aww I find that really sweet. I always thought she was reading from the bible too.