Thursday, February 07, 2008

With Prejudice

I'm very often put off by careless spelling. That's not to say that I don't make the odd mistake myself but I do try to get it right.

Which is why, when I'm perusing Ebay, I would never bid on any item where the seller's description was full of spelling errors. After all, if they can't be bothered to get that right, the item they're selling is bound to be grubby, smelly, fraudulently described and poorly packed.

I'm not put off by any misspellings in greengrocers as that is a traditional practice. But you'll not sell me any 'sausidges' or 'sirlions' in the butchers because I'll know your meat is fly-blown and badly hung.

However if you're a blogger and you leave a comment on my blog that contains a wee typo you will be totally forgiven. Because everybody knows that typos happen when your fingers are racing over the keyboard to put that pithy comment down before it escapes you.

In the restaurant if there's a bit of a blooper on the board advertising Dish of the Day I'll forgive that because the chalker's English is going to be way better than my command of Polish or Lithuanian. And the service will totally make up for it. But I'll not stand for spelling mistakes in the tea shop. Appel Tart? I don't think so!  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://flickr.com/photos/straytoaster/1809029764/

I long ago got over the pedantry of correcting grammar and spelling. English is a fluid language, and there is a reason we don't have a language committee. Thank God.
http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=1079

Nelly said...

I wouldn't dream of correcting other people's spelling or grammar either. For one thing, I'm not qualified. However in certain market places I find it influences my opinion of the goods on offer. Y'see I equate sloppy spelling with sloppy service. And I know it's prejudiced but I'm an imperfect human being.

Good cartoon.

Anonymous said...

Long live the pedantry, sez I. It's the only thing that separates us from the apes...

(But then I suspect that you could guess I was slightly odd that way)

Anonymous said...

"I wouldn't dream of correcting other people's spelling or grammar either."

It must have been someone else ask me to run a spellchecker monthly over someone's site then...

:D

Nelly said...

Beowulf - your help with that website is greatly appreciated by me (and my dyslexic boss)but despite our best efforts the little blighter is far too busy doing deals to actually take the time to sort it out.

If he'd let me under the bonnet I'd soon fix it....