Thursday, January 19, 2012

Scruff

I have just received some very sad news. Scruff, my sister's dog, died today in a freak accident.

Scruff was one of those wonderful dogs that everybody admired. He stayed with Nellybert on several occasions and every time he walked into our house he immediately assumed the status of pack leader. Did I say 'walk'? That should have been 'strut'.

It was only a couple of days ago that Bert remarked, "I don't suppose Scruff will ever stay with us again?" and I agreed that he probably wouldn't as he was getting old. He was thirteen. He might have had a few more years but they wouldn't have been his best. And he died doing something he loved - out walking the hills and valleys with his beloved Brendan. He'll be missed.

From Nelly's Garden October 2008 when Rosie died.

Loving dogs is bloody hard sometimes. Which is why the French call them bĂȘtes de chagrin - beasts of sorrow. For they break our hearts - they die too soon.

1 comment:

hootchinhannah said...

I have a lovely vision of Scruff and Pepe hanging out in animal heaven. They were both characters. I think they would have admired each other. My thoughts are with T, S and B.