Sunday, August 16, 2020

August Wildflowers

 These photographs were taken three days ago when it was extremely warm. I look at the wildflowers that are often referred to as 'weeds' differently nowadays. So, I decided to photograph a selection of them in the same way that I take pictures of garden flowers. These plants just grow, and need no tending.


But! I hear the neat-freaks say. These are weeds, they make the place look so untidy. Of course they do, but who cares? Are woods tidy? Are meadows tidy? They are not and they shouldn't be. And don't get me started on hedges.

 These plants are so important for the environment. They provide foraging for pollinators, food for insects, seeds for wild birds. When I pass the big patch of willow herb that grows between the poly-tunnels and the raspberry garden I am always looking out for caterpillars, especially elephant hawk moth caterpillars. I haven't seen any this year but they must be around somewhere. The yellow rattle that we encourage in what used to be a lawn will feed on the grass roots and encourage more meadow flowers to thrive. There is eyebright growing beside it. It's a tiny patch but is a start. There is no need to buy expensive meadow flower seed. The seed is already there, dormant and waiting for the right conditions to come forward.

 
So, there we go. Our excuse for letting the wild things grow, for not being tidy. And I am sure you'll agree - these 'weeds' are really lovely too.

4 comments:

Peggy said...

Brings back lovely childhood memories.

Hayley said...

Lovely, Mary. I have so enjoyed letting my whole lawn grown wild this year. I still have this lurking 'shame' over having such a messy garden, particularly living in one of those very uniform and tidy developments. To me, it's beautiful, but I keep imagining what others are saying if they get a glimpse of the wilderness over the fence!

Nelly said...

I feel a little bit like that too but I fight it!

Mage said...

Yes, they are all loverly.