Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Butterflies, Belfast and Girl Camp

 


We have quite a few buddleia bushes dotted around the place and they certainly do attract the butterflies and moths. The most popular place right now is down by the polytunnel where a group of unsold buddleias are still in pots. I brought my camera to see if I could catch a group shot of the peacocks or maybe the small tortoiseshells. Thanks to our nettle patches we see a lot of those. And there they were in their dozens. And then there was this one which I've never seen before around here, not ever. According to my Collins, it is a silver-washed fritillary. It likes to feed on brambles, and luckily there are lots of those around the place and the larva feeds on dog violets and we have a great swathe of those growing under the beech trees. Once again, I'm grateful that we've learned to love a bit of wildness around the place. Some might call it a mess. I call it a haven for wildlife.

Clint cut the meadow today. This is great as I was worried it wouldn't happen. Before he turned it I collected the remnants of the yellow rattle seeds and walked the field bashing out the last of the seeds. There are lots saved already but they are destined for the patch outside my window.

Apart from that, it was much too hot to do much and, believe it or not, I am still tired from the social whirl. Which began the Tuesday before last when I saw Nat and Neil.

Now For The Archive

Tuesday, 17th August

N and I arranged to meet in Belfast and I was raring to go. It was a long, long time since we'd seen each other. Of course, being me I got mega anxieties about things not working out. The last time we'd met in Belfast I had a prang with a driving instructor who was taking a lesson with a young Polish woman. The damage done was slight and the cost mighty but it could have been worse. This time I took the train and set off early so I could peruse the vintage and charity shops on Botanic Avenue. I was lucky with books - found an Ishiguro and a Banks that I hadn't read. Both from the turn of the century. I mustn't have been reading so much back then.

Then a walk through Botanic Gardens, still feeling sad that the Palm House remains closed to the public. I said to Bert a while ago,

Those gardeners will still be working away in there even though no one can come in.

And he said,

Yea! And they'll be loving it!

I expect he's right. 

Then it was time to meet Nat. She looked great. A few years older than me, and barely a grey hair. We were both wearing Seasalt tops, obviously a favourite choice for old hippies like us.

Photograph by Neil.

As they say here, the craic was mighty and there was one tale from the olden days that Nat thinks I should share here. I might just.

It was all too short for N and N were heading off the next day. But I shall be keeping my eyes and ears open for classic motorcycles for sale to see if I can lure them back to Belfast. 

Next Day, 18th August

Tired and happy. My feet were a bit achey. 15000 Belfast steps in ankle boots. Should have worn my comfy Merrells. So during the day, I rested up because that evening and all day Thursday was going to be Girl Camp!





 


 

No comments: