Wednesday, May 24, 2023

River Deep - Mountain High

I don't usually have much to say about famous people dying because if I did I'd be blogging about nothing else for sure don't they die every week.

But then there is Tina Turner and I wasn't even that much of a fan. Except for River Deep - Mountain High which I must have heard first in my early teens and was blown away by it. Her voice, the lyrics, the production. It is because of Tina Turner that I've never cared for insipid music. I want the power and the passion. 

I checked Wikipedia for when it was first released. I'd have been thirteen. It did well in Europe, but didn't take off in the USA. Then, after Eric Burdon and the Animals did a cover version (I've only just heard it!) it was re-released in 1969. That's when it got me.

After listening to the Animal's version of River Deep on YouTube, it went straight to King Crimson playing Starless from all of eight years ago. I wasn't a King Crimson fan back in my teens but YouTube obviously knows that I'm all grown-up now.  

Wikipedia also informed me that Deep Purple also did a cover of River Deep - Mountain High but I'll listen to that later. I'm enjoying King Crimson too much.

Anyway, thanks, Tina. You were great. 









No comments: