Friday, March 08, 2024

The Reading List

How long is it since I started reading multiple books? I need to look this up. Thankfully it will have been recorded in Nelly's Garden.


[checks blog]


Aha! I first mentioned it EXACTLY five years ago. This is why I blog.


On Friday, March 08, 2019, I posted this, 


For several months now I've been reading 10-12 books simultaneously. I was inspired to do this by Will Self, who in answer to the question,


What are you reading currently?


Replied, 


Before I read digitally, I’d be reading perhaps 10 books simultaneously – but now I read as many as 50 at once...

I still don't read digitally and I've never went as far as fifty books. That would be beyond me. Also, I.ve never read Will Self. So far, never felt the need.

I have kept a list of most of the books I've read this past five years and it numbers 199 which does not seem a lot. Forty books a year. At that rate if I live to be 90 (which I'd quite like to) I'll only be able to read another 800 books. Some of those will be re-reads and some still to be written. 

My current favourite reads are The Bee Sting and The Age of Innocence. 

All-time favourites Louise Kennedy - Trespasses and Claire Keegan - Foster. Recent favourites Wally Lamb - I Know This Much Is True and Barbara Kingsover - Demon Copperhead. 




2 comments:

fergusoneleanor077@gmail.com said...

I loved The Age of Innocence. Agree with you on Trespasses and Foster. Still haven’t got to The Bee Sting. Paul got to it first and it’ll take him weeks to get through it. Happy reading! X Doris

Nelly said...

I've had a jolly good go at it today. Reminded so much of one of my sisters and her best friend at the time.