Saturday, June 01, 2024

The Twelve, June 2024

I finished six books in May.


Hagseed by Margaret Atwood, a most enjoyable romp.


Five Days At Memorial by Sheri Fink – I’d been reading this forever. Is it right to dose the elderly and infirm with opiates in a disaster situation? The jury is out.


Dusklands by J.M. Coetzee. The first part was a struggle, the second less so. It was brutal in parts.


The Fifth Risk – I read this fast, enjoyed it, learned stuff, and then forgot it.


The Axeman’s Carnival by Catherine Chidgey – where a magpie ( Gymnorhina tibicen) is the main protagonist. This was so good, a recommendation from my New Zealand cousin, also called Catherine. I passed it straight on to Hannah and I expect that when she has finished it, Zoe will love it too. Thank you, Kiwi Catherine!


Back Home by Michelle Magorian, a children's book by the author of Goodnight, Mr. Tom. I read this one quickly, a story set in the post-war years. Moderately enjoyable, the heroine was a cheeky brat and there was rather too much psychological and physical abuse of children described and not enough censure of said abuse. 




Onwards to the June Twelve.







These are the books in my reading basket right now. Failing Peace and Pet are recent additions, yet to find their way to the front of the queue. In other words, not cracked but I am so looking forward to Pet. The Sara Roy will be a duty read. I need to educate myself about Palestine and Israel and this book has come recommended.


Hannah has been urging me to read The Palace of Heavenly Pleasure forever and I’ve only just started it. Maybe too soon to say but I think I will like it.


The Kingsolver is going slowly as are the Feeney and Bainbridge. None as slow as Lost Children which I picked up in a Sue Ryder in Fakenham. I’ve been reading that since last October.


I’ll Be Gone In The Dark was recommended by Mel and I like it. The Cabaret of Plants has not lived up to its early promise. I’m on Bird’s Eye Primulas and am underwhelmed. I’m expecting to enjoy the Tana French and the Elif Shafak is beguiling.


Easter 1916, is an educational read, so far I’m unmoved.


Since I posted the long list of all the books I’ve read since the multi-book project began I found that I left out a few.One was Prophet Song by Paul Lynch, a recent read on loan from Zoe. Did I enjoy it? I believe I did. It was dark and dystopic but I think,  just the smallest bit hopeful. For life goes on. Until it doesn’t.


Another one, finished a long time ago was André Alexis, Fifteen Dogs. Sad and beautiful and it made me cry. I may need to go back to it.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray! Chidgey is an excellent author.

Nelly said...

So much so that I intend to read everything else that she has published.