Thursday, November 24, 2011

Ho Hum


The President, originally uploaded by NellyMoser.

Is life less interesting than it was now that I don't work any more?

This I know - I don't seem to have the urge to blog as much as I used to.

I met two former work colleagues for lunch yesterday and a very pleasant two hours it was. It was really good to catch up with them but nothing I heard about the world of work made me regret leaving.

Afterwards I went to 'sign on'. My six months is up and I no longer get the 'dole'. I'm doing it for N.I. contributions now. Even so they put the pressure on as to why I am not in employment. I got ticked off for going to England. Apparently 'claimants' have to inform them if we go on holiday. And, I was told, if we go over the border we have to sign off and sign on when we return.

Don't believe that people on the dole are living in luxury. All I see when I go there are sad-faced and despondent people of all ages. Their clothes aren't great either.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chastising those "on the dole" seems a bit of international sport these days. It's grown to grotesque proportions here in the States -much to my dismay.

Being old,I tend to long for a kinder past, yet wonder if that was an illusion?
anne

Nelly said...

I think it was probably worse in the past Anne. The people who administer the rules don't do it harshly. It was hinted to me that if I do go away - just don't say so. I get the impression it's as grim to work there as it is to 'sign on' but at least they get a pay packet at the end of the month.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree - working with people who need services, as both you and I have done, is a mixed bag. Grateful and happy when you see it working - and a bit overwhelming when it doesn't. And happy for that pay packet.
I'm probably just reflecting the stress of these poor economic times.
Happier note: Planning on getting out the Christmas lights today.
The child in me delights in the evening displays!
anne

Nelly said...

Yes. I'm going to sort a tree out soon. Now that I have grandchildren who appreciate such things it gives me new heart. And. We got a piano today - free to a good home. Needs tuned but Miss Martha will LOVE it!

We'll not worrit ourselves about economic gloom and doom for a wee while anyway.

Anonymous said...

Ah...indeed Grandchildren bring with them much to be joyous about! And a piano!

It puts a smile on my face when I think what fun you'll have with Ms. Martha this season! I know of no one who deserves it more than you do, Nelly.
anne

Nelly said...

It's something to look forward to.