Friday, September 06, 2019

Fifteen Years

Brían came round tonight. We spoke of many things, mainly politics, religion and, briefly, this blog which is a little over fifteen years old. I said, no-one ever reads it except about six people in America and around 40 of my cousins. He said the main thing is that you keep on writing it and I expect he's right. Fifteen years is a long time in blog years. Some day I expect to get an award for the oldest blog in the world. I think Ganching might be in the running for that award too.


See Brían's name, with the fada - it's pronounced Bree-an. It took me a long time to get that right. I used to call him Bri-an. But I tried hard and eventually got it right. The only thing was, the guy in my local garage was Brian without a fada, pronounce him Bri-an, except I was trying so hard to call Brían Bree- an that I started to call Brian Bree-an too. Sort of egg-shelly thing that can only ever happen in Northern Ireland as Bri-an is most likely a Unionist (I never asked him) and Bree-an a staunch Sinn-Feiner.

Anyway, remembering that this blog is now in its mid-teens I looked back to a post from exactly 15 years ago. Bert was going camping with the fellows including Brían. If it hadn't been recorded I'd never have remembered it. Bert still hasn't got to grips with mobile phones. And I have no memories of that coffee morning other than I must have had two parents fifteen years ago.





6/9/2004

Camping

Friday night. What’s happening at Nelly’s then? Bert is preparing for a camping trip up and down Slieve Donard in the Mourne Mountains.

He is going with Martin and the gang. The boys do these macho things every now and then. The trip will involve physical exercise, whiskey and sausages. There may well be male bonding. Someone may read aloud from Hemingway. Ever supportive, Ian has called up to make sure that Bert is properly prepared. He has reminded him to charge his mobile phone, which Bert uses about once every three months. He uses it to make calls and when he has done so he always switches off so that he cannot be contacted. This is to preserve the battery charge.

Ian and Bert have erected the tent n the kitchen. They are lying in it. It is a two-man tent and they are testing this claim out. Should I be worried?

Saturday morning. Alone at last. Bert and Paddy have set off on their camping trip. I am going to a coffee morning and cake sale at Glenkeen. Natch Matty is going too. I will keep you posted. Hah!

7 comments:

Susannah said...

As one of your six readers in America I am glad you are still writing ! :)
I do suspect there are more than six of us here.

Mage said...

From the US, I would truly miss your blog if it vanished. You always bring a bright light to my days.

Nelly said...

Thank you, Americans for your support. Strangely, not one of my 40 cousins has yet to comment on this post. It's only when I meet them at family occasions, and they greet me as Nelly, that I know they are reading.

Anonymous said...

Really enjoy reading your blog!
Groetjes vanuit Nederland,
Lian

Nelly said...

Thank you, Lian.

Ross said...

I read and have been reading your blog for the past 5 years or so,always interesting, don't stop writing! I may be your only NZ (kiwi)reader.

Andrea said...

I treat myself to a catch up on your blog every 2 weeks - a girl has to have something to look forward to in this humdrum existence after all!