Saturday, February 12, 2022

The Knitting Bug




Q. Why don't I blog more?

A. Because I am currently obsessed with knitting.


I took a notion for it before Christmas and on a day when I was supposed to be shopping for presents, I popped into the Silk Road in Mill Street and bought 10 balls of knitting yarn, all in different colours. I already had the needles even though I’d previously donated all my yarn collection to Aunt Lizzie who was keen on crochet work.

Every now and then during the Christmas and New Year stir, I’d glance at my bright balls of yarn and feel a glow of excitement. Soon. Soon I will cast on and begin my first simple project.




The return to knitting was every bit as enjoyable as I’d hoped. Before long I had enough strips of multi-coloured garter stitched pieces to sew together. I did not enjoy the sewing part but it had to be done. Perhaps next time I will endeavour to make the sewing neater but I was in a big hurry to start my next project – a stripey sweater just like the ones I knitted so many years ago. By this time I had acquired a lot more wool. Unfortunately, I did not have a pattern. Zoe loaned me a book, Knitting Without Tears by Elizabeth Zimmerman and it was informative – lots in there about knitting with circular needles. No definite instructions though. Elizabeth talked about knitting gauges. She wrote that it was important to do this accurately and conscientiously. She remarked that (and I quote her) that to ignore this advice might lead to me supping the porridge of regret with the spoon of sorrow. What a phrase! I admired it hugely yet did not pay heed to it. Sure didn’t I knit a dozen or more sweaters back in my heyday? Sweaters ranging from husband-sized to premature baby size. All were in perfect proportion. I’d wing it. It would all come back to me.


But it didn’t. The body and arms were far too wide and the sleeves too short. I decided to call my work a prototype and that I should learn from my mistakes. Even so, the prototype is almost finished. Zoe (a far better knitter than me) said I should keep going and that with the sharp increases in heating fuel it would be a useful addition to my wardrobe as it can be worn over several other jumpers.







I’m already planning the next project. Wish me luck.

 One of my stripey jumpers from when I was younger. Wish I still had it.

4 comments:

amanda said...

As someone who was the lucky recipient of your knitting in days of yore (stripes in sweet pea colours), I am excited to see your productions

Nelly said...

Oh golly gosh. I'm doing one in sweet pea colours right now. Just at casting on!

Mary said...

Such bright pretty colors. I have Zimerman's book and love it. Wise Woman's blog is also a knitter. Reading your blog is making me want to pick up an unfinished sweater.

Nelly said...

Mary - I'm glad you are inspired to finish your sweater. Will check out Wise Woman,