Friday, October 14, 2022

Day Out in Belfast

There had been an arrangement to have a new stove fitted today in my private, secret sitting room and I didn't want to be there when it happened. So I thought I'd have a wee excursion to Belfast. Swisser was to come too. The stove-fitting appointment was cancelled until Tuesday, but we decided to go anyway.

It was a fine day, with blue skies and fluffy clouds. Belfast is beautiful when the weather allows. Our first call was to St George's Market then on to the Mac to see the Ron Mueck exhibition. There was no light-heartedness or joy in these works. The sculptures were contemplative, serious and concerned.  That's life, that's humanity. Which is why it worked for me. Being alive is a serious business and ends in being dead. 

But one must eat. We had lunch at Dumpling Library which was very good. We had seaweed dumplings, salmon fishcakes and deep-fried spinach wontons. I shall take Bert there someday soon.. 

And one must clothe oneself - to shopping. Urban Outfitters, Seasalt and Jigsaw. Swisser tried on about a million things in Seasalt while I sat outside watching the world go by. I was expecting her to emerge laden with bags but she had only one solitary jumper. I bought a hot pink shirt from Urban Outfitters which will brighten up my life and, hopefully, that of those around me.

A dem good day. Culture, food, fashion and friendship. The only thing missing was books. And I have enough books for now.






1 comment:

Gemma said...

Love the thought of your hot pink shirt brightening up life Mary