Friday, June 16, 2023

I Wish It Would Rain

 

Bert heading out to a funeral in a heatwave.

It won't be too formal, I said, fine for a funeral on a day like this, in fact, you might even wear something like that to Naoise's wedding.

Afterwards, I asked the usual questions.

Good turn-out? 

Yes.

See anyone you know? 

A few. It was an eclectic gathering, and his wee sisters carried the coffin.



Then there was Martha's show. She is part of her school's drama club, an enthusiastic member. and she really wanted me to come. It was an interactive performance of George's Marvellous Medicine and it was great.There was a 75% turnout of grandparents on Martha's team and we had to watch a lot of actors* playing George's dreadful grandma. I don't know about the other two grandparents but Im sure I am nothing like that. I did see a hint of Pearlie though although she was nowhere near as horrible. it was a hoot from beginning to end and in my opinion, we need to pay teachers more.

Afterwards, I popped over to Tescos to pick up a few items. It seems like late summer evenings are the best time to go supermarket shopping apart from some of the shelves looking a bit bare. Thankfully there were no gaps in the Italian wine department. I met an old acquaintance there, the guy who used to fix my washing machines. It wasn't his only talent as he's also a fine fiddle player and played in bands back in the day. Sadly he'd given it up, and said he lost interest when the girls stopped throwing their underwear on stage.

That made me think, for though it often seems these days that the world has gone completely mad, it always was a crazy place.



Tony


* George's Marvellous Medicine features four main characters. The actors changed with each scene and no, it wasn't confusing, and it gave everyone a chance to shine.




No comments: