Friday, May 14, 2021

A Lucky Escape

 


I set the trap out last night, the first time this year. The catch was paltry, three moths, none remarkable.


For fear of rain I had it in the open doorway of the shepherd’s hut. A fat grey squirrel ran off as I went out to switch off the light. Perhaps squirrels eat moths? I am always fearful of finding a blue tit inside the trap for, apparently, this is not unknown. No tit in the trap but feathers on the sunroom floor. I am in the habit of leaving a door open when it gets light so dogs and cats can access the outdoors and not be bothering me as I lie in bed, drinking coffee and finishing Shuggie Bain. I think a bird came indoors and would have been an easy catch for Fred. And to think he had the cheek to miaow for his breakfast.


POSTSCRIPT


Some hours later Bert heard a floofing noise behind the sofa. He pulled it out and up flew a great tit. Caught it and released it to the garden. The poor thing was exhausted and sat perched on the witch hazel long enough for me to capture a few shots. The tit, maybe a juvenile, had outwitted the cat and lives to fly another day. This made me happy.


2 comments:

Peruby said...

I've got Shuggie Bain on my reading list. It may be a while as I have quite a few others and I just kind of bounce around willy nilly and pick something to read.

Mage said...

Makes me happy too.