Friday, January 06, 2023

Cattered

Our recent bout of Covid was a lot harder on Bert, most likely because he had not availed himself of a booster jab. While I got over the worst of it in a couple of days he spent three days in bed with a fever and, when he eventually made it downstairs he was weak as a kitten and a pathetic-looking sight.  

Actually, I don't know why people say 'as weak as a kitten' for if Pippin is anything to go by, kittens are as tough as old boots. Anyway, Bert was most intrigued to hear that he was looking peely-wally* as he enjoys any kind of attention and off he went to check himself out in the mirror.

Aye, he remarked 

I am looking a bit cattered.

I say,

Cattered! What do you mean? I've never heard you say that before.

I say it all the time. 

You do not! That's not even a word. You're making that up.

It is definitely a word.

I don't believe you.

Where's the book?

Where it always is.

He fetches it and lo and behold **cattered really is an Ulster-Scots word.

The book was a present from my sister 26 years ago and it is much used in this house. 




*Peely-wally adjective pale and sickly-looking. [Scots, origin unknown.] Concise Ulster Dictionary, p 249

**Cattered  adjective unhealthy-looking[Cf Scots cuiter "to pamper because of ill-health".] Concise Ulster Dictionary, p 57



2 comments:

London Sister said...

So that was a pretty good present from Ganching then, going strong 26 years later!!

Nelly said...

It did turn out to be pretty useful.