Thursday, November 23, 2023

A Post From Fifteen Years Ago

 

Oh How I Wish That Skippy Was Here

The hole what I fell in

I’ve never got into the habit of carrying a phone with me. After yesterday I think perhaps I should. After leaving Hannah in to work I took Paddy and Bonnie for walks in Currell’s Avenue. I was wearing my Hunters so decided to go off piste. We were in this boggy field between the river and the Ballygarvey Road and I went to cross an old wooden bridge over a sheugh. Next thing I’m sitting on my ass on a whole heap of mud and my left leg is stuck in a hole in the bridge, damn and blast it to hell. Of course my first thought was,


Am I going to lose my welly here?


No thought a-tall for my leg, just my welly for a damned expensive welly it was too. Then I thought,


Am I going to get my leg out or am I going to be stuck here for hours?


Then I thought,


Will I have to chew my leg off?


Then I thought,


If I had a big rock I could smash the wood around my leg and get it out.


Then I thought,


If these dogs were any good a-tall like Lassie or Black Bob, or if they were even as smart as Skippy the Bush Kangaroo, then they could go and fetch help but they’re not, they’re crap dogs and they’re not even looking at me, they’re running ahead regardless as if Nelly with her leg stuck in a bridge is a really normal thing to be happening.


Then I thought,


If I imagine my leg is really skinny like Kate Moss’s leg then I could wiggle it out or die trying.


So I did. I imagined my leg was totally skinny and wiggled it out and it hurt like hell and it came out with Hunter still attached.


And I jumped up and walked about and everything still worked so I thought I’d better take myself and my two useless dogs homewards but before I went I took a photo of the hole in the bridge and I wished that I could have had a picture of me with my leg stuck in the bridge and if Skippy the Bush Kangaroo had been there (s)he would definitely have gotten that picture.


What's that Skip? An old lady's got her leg trapped in the old wooden bridge?


No comments: