Friday, November 03, 2023

What I Did On My Holidays, Days 4 and 5



The fourth day brought mixed feelings for it was on that day that my beloved middle daughter had decreed would be for her and me alone. I had been looking forward to it for I rarely have Katy to myself. Yet there was a tiny guilt to be leaving grandchildren behind.

Reader, it was bliss. 

We went to Houghton Hall. Katy volunteered in the gardens for a time so she had a complimentary pass and we felt pretty special. It was a damp and drizzly day but we cared not a jot. 

I never thought I'd be so enthralled to scrutinise the 6th Marquess of Cholmondeley's model soldiers apparently the world's largest private collection. Small quibble, The British Grenadiers played on a loop was wearisome. Katy could not help noticing that the models of 'the enemy' such as the kilted Scots at the Battle of Culloden were far more likely to be corpsed than those plucky Brits. 

Next the house. The Sean Scully exhibition was only slightly jarring. For me, Scully's art was far more elevating than Walpole's ostentatious trappings. Miss Emily's previous take on the house was 'so many beds'.





It was far too rainy to take in Scully's outdoor installations so we headed for the gardens instead. Despite it being the tail-end of October there was still a lot to see. 




Where have dahlias been in my life? I want them - all of them.

Lunch was leisurely and enjoyable. The last time I ate at the Houghton Hall cafe we did it in shifts. One adult lunched while the other tried to prevent James from climbing into the courtyard water feature. Apparently, lunch is always onion tart but I enjoyed it immensely. 

Then home and a run out with the children to Sue Ryder and my co-grandmother, home again and my last evening in Norfolk where I am already looking forward to my next visit.

Day 5 dawns and I am leaving my Norfolk family and going to the London sisters. I leave them all at Kings Lynn station, always a sad feeling knowing I'll not see them again until next year. 

I've finished my Beryl Bainbridge and have a book I bought at Sue Ryder but I don't open it. Instead, I look out the window of the train at the dull English countryside. It does not inspire me. I look anyway. At pheasants, horses, and just once some deer. I look forward to London.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How lucky Katy is to be beloved by her mother and how lucky are you too.

Eleanor Ferguson said...

We lived in Norfolk for about 10 years in the 90s and I don’t remember ever visiting Holkham Hall. It looks like a good day out. I’ve enjoyed reading about your trip. Your grandchildren are very sweet. Love Emily as Wednesday Adams. X Doris

Nelly said...

To Anon, Thank you for that comment. I appreciate it.

To Eleanor, Norfolk is a lovely county and North Norfolk particularly wonderful. I'm lucky to be able to visit it when I can. Katy is a gardener and is always up for a visit to gorgeous gardens. It's a pleasure I love to share with her.