Sunday, November 05, 2023

What I Did On My Holidays, Day 7

 My last full day in London and it’s another rainy one. Nevertheless, London Sister and I head out for a trip to Green Lanes. Our primary destination was the Dusty Knuckle bakery and coffee shop and it did not disappoint.

Of course, we didn’t traverse the entire length of Green Lanes. For a start the weather was inclement and secondly, it is one of the longest roads in London at slightly over 6 miles. The road’s origins are uncertain. What is known is that it originated as one of the old drover’s roads used to walk cattle and other livestock from the country to London’s markets.




No cattle or geese today. The part we went to was full of Turkish and Greek Cypriot shops and restaurants, bakeries shops displaying colourful cakes and pastries, lashings of honey and pistachios, windows full of bridal dresses and everything that could possibly be needed for the biggest, fattest wedding ever.

Then, it's time to return to Muswell Hill. We were damp but happy, looking forward to an evening of movies, quiz shows and yet another delicious dinner.

London Sister helped me make a meticulous travel plan for the next day then I packed my case for the morning and went off to bed with a Hilary Mantel.

The next day, I said a fond farewell to Mr S and LS and went for breakfast in Muswell Hill. Always going the extra mile and then some, my lovely sister accompanied me to Tottenham Hale for the Stansted Express. And that was London redd up for another while.

Of course, me being me, I spent most of that journey fretting that I might need to be farther up in the train because we airport passengers were supposed to be in the first 5 carriages. How glad I was when we arrived at the airport to find that the train door opened onto the platform and not some weedy waste ground, necessitating a big jump and a long, dangerous trudge to the airport. Yes - I know. Ridiculous.



1 comment:

London Sister said...

Pleased you liked Green Lanes, well off the beaten tourist track!