Monday, January 29, 2024

A Tale of Two Bullfinches

 

Possibly the same female taken a couple of years ago


First thing this morning I was out looking for survivors from the fox attack but there were none to be seen, just another area filled with feathers from a kill. That is at least two hen’s worth of feathers so far.*


We had another avian incident today. Bert and I were in the sun room when we heard a thud on the window and I saw a small bird falling to the ground. When I looked out, the bird, a female bullfinch, was standing on the ground, looking stunned. I wondered if I should just leave it there but, spotting Hannah coming back from her walk in the woods, with three dogs and two cats in tow, I thought it would be better to take the little bird out of harm’s way. I set it in the middle of the rhododendron hedge and went to make sure that the cats were kept indoors. When I got back, there was Cleo, trotting along with the bullfinch in her mouth. She gave it up willingly and her soft mouth had done the bird no harm. For its own safety I placed it in a cardboard box with a cooling rack on top.


Then after fifteen minutes or so Bert took it outside where it flew up into a hawthorn tree. A male bullfinch was perched further up the tree as if keeping guard. The female stayed for around 20 minutes and then was gone. I checked the bottom of the tree for signs of its fall but no bullfinch.


What a day for that wee bird.


Flies into a window and brains itself.

Is gathered up by a human and placed in a hedge that it doesn’t normally frequent.

Is carried off in a dog’s mouth.

Is imprisoned.


All being well she will survive this experience and go on to raise a brood or two. Maybe even three.


*The third killing site was discovered just outside the hen run. My lovely Jacqueline.



This may well be the same male bullfinch who waited for her today. Apparently bullfinches pair for life.

2 comments:

Susannah said...

I am sorry for your hens. Especially Jacqueline. She was lovely. We are down to 2 old hens. I was going to buy chicks last spring but I fell and hurt one knee badly and cancelled the order. We will have new ones this spring. We also have many foxes around our property which I love as they keep the woodchuck population down. Those woodchucks will destroy a veggie garden. But the hens can't run free and, yes, they love it so.

Nelly said...

Thanks Susannah. I don't know what to do with myself without hens to go out to in the morning. Glad we don't have woodchucks here.