Sunday, January 28, 2024

And Then There Were... None?

 


We were already down to four chickens. Then our new rooster (not pictured) was nabbed by Foxy at the beginning of the week. I kept the remaining three hens inside for a couple of days then, feeling sorry for them, I decided to open the hen run and let them run around the yard and garden. My logic was that Foxy would be unlikely to get them if they were running wild and free. At dusk they would return to the hen house and I'd close them in for the night. 

This evening it was past dusk when I went out to do that. It was dark and I took a lamp. The first thing I saw was a scattering of feathers, far too many to be normal. I shone the light into their house. No hens.  I went in, feathers everywhere, especially at the trap door. I looked around the run. Not all around it as it is overgrown, but there was no sign of hens either living or dead.

I went into the house feeling awfully sad. The hens had such a lovely time today. Every time I looked out the window or went outside there they were, scrabbling and pecking, enjoying the mild dry day. If only I'd gone out earlier maybe I could have got them shut in safely before Foxy got there.

I said to Bert,

I think our chicken-keeping days may be over.

And told him what I'd found.

He said,

You never know. One or two of them might turn up in the morning.

They were all old girls and we'd been planning to let them live out their lives then stop keeping chickens, get the run cleared and maybe, maybe start again at a later date. Part of me hopes that they are all gone because then I can stop worrying about them. Another part...

We shall see what tomorrow brings. 


Jacqueline. She was my favourite. The feathers that I found did not belong to her.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no. All that the many foxes round here do is use our garden as a shortcut to get into other people's garden and poo everywhere and I find that really annoying but at least they don't kill anything.

Nelly said...

I know. They can be an awful nuisance around houses. I used to hate what they do to chickens but have come to believe that thefault lies with the chicken-keepers. It is almost eight years since we have lost chickens to Foxy and I had become complacent. No sign of any survivors so far.