Thursday, December 10, 2020

On Writing

 Since lockdown, I've been making more online impulse buys, sometimes even whilst having a glass of wine. And instead of looking forward to what postie brings I rather dread it. Oh dear Lord, what have I bought now!

Today it was this book, Joanne Harris - Ten Things About Writing. I found it on the Guardian website and thought it might help with the blogger's block I am occasionally afflicted with. It got great reviews. Even Neil Gaiman had nice things to say. And Matt Haig too, who always says nice things.

I'm not sure if it is exactly what I was looking for as it seems to be about serious writing and there is even a chapter about agents. Maybe I should have waited for inspiration from Miss Martha, who has embarked on a writing career and is the process of self-publishing her first book. It seems she started the book yesterday and is already more than halfway through. I was allowed to read it today.

Her main character is called Enola which gave me a little concern as I will always associate that name with the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Evie: Granny, do you know what Enola is backwards.

Me: Alone. Martha, do you know what else the name Enola is associated it. You might not have heard of it. It was the name of a plane, the Enola Gay that dropped...

Martha: Yes! It dropped a nuclear bomb on Nagasaki. I read about that in a Michael Morpurgo book.

Of course, she did. I am so glad that my all grandchildren love books. When I have WhatsApp calls with James and Emily in Norfolk they are always showing me their favourite books. If you want your kids to be smart, all you have to do is read to them, every night. 

Martha has her book all planned out with an introduction and chapter headings and six chapters completed. Her best friend is lined up to do the illustrations. Here is a taster.







1 comment:

Mage said...

You are a great old one. :)