Saturday, March 13, 2021

End Of An Era

 


Prisoners of Geography was a bit of a plod. I bought it for Bert (he likes that kind of thing) back in the days when visiting bookshops was a thing. Jared Diamond covered some of the same ground in Guns, Germs and Steel and I think he made a better fist of it. The Marshall was replaced in the reading basket by Julie Buntin, who I only heard of this week, thanks to Mikey who recommended it to all his followers on Twitter. I wonder if I was the only one who had a copy bought and paid for from eBay just moments after reading his tweet?

Today marked the end of an era in our wee village when the only remaining garage closed its doors for the last time. It was a popular family business and the two brothers who owned it will be much missed, as will their friendly staff.  It was the closest shop to our house and so easy to nip down to if we needed something at short notice. I don't know where I'm going to get my Saturday Guardian now or where Bert will fill the van.

And closer still to home there has been another change. I said to Bert,

Y'know those lads that pick up the recycling?

What about them?

They'll be saying the wee woman who lives up that lane must have died.

Why so?

No empty wine bottles in the recycling bin.

Of course! They'll think you died of the drink.

There is just one empty coffee jar and two spice jars in the glass bin. Normally there would be a bunch of empty wine bottles. I'm doing 30 days alcohol-free and this is Day 20. Bert is still enjoying his cider and the occasional dram of single malt. He does miss his glass of wine but I'm not opening any. Not until the weekend after the 30 days are up.

No comments: