Wednesday, March 30, 2005

The Clematis Reunion

I had a lovely surprise on Monday evening. My old friend Gillian Blades phoned me to say that another old friend, Julia Correvon, was in Norn Iron for a few days and wanted us all to meet. Gillian was asking us all over for drinks and an Indian meal at her house. And of course Barbara Jackman would be there too. Barbara and Julia are the only two of us who keep in regular touch. We all went to the same school but it was the Second Sister who was in Julia and Gillian's year. Barbara is from the same village as Gillian and we've all been friends forever with never a cross word. Or if there was it's all lost in the mists of time by now. When Julia and Gillian went to uni (the swots are both teachers now) Barbara and I stayed at home and got up to all sorts of rascally behaviour. We were once jointly sacked from a waitressing job at the Bridge in Dunloy for being drunk in charge of a drinks tray and a cash float. I was a bit humiliated but Barbara thought it was a great laugh.

These are three wonderful women who I should have kept in touch with, but - hey - it's great to get another go. There was a lot of catching up to do and we had a great night but I couldn't help noticing that Barbara and Gillian can't hold their drink as well as they used to.

This is for my beloved ex-husband to read. Gillian Blades said she knew our marriage would never last and that you were far too good for me. She claims to have told me so at the time but I disremember. Probably blocked it out. Nah-nah-nah I can't hear you! They were all asking about you and are delighted that you've found yourself a good one at last.

No comments: