Monday, September 05, 2005

To Drink Or Not To Drink..

So remind me – how long is it now since I had an alcoholic drink? It’s my birthday in a few days time and I’m wondering if I should indulge myself. But….

  • I think I may get a Chocolate Guinness* Cake (please, please God) and if I do and I drink I might then go crazy and eat savage amounts of it. You think smoking dope gives you the munchies? It’s drinking white wine that gives you the appetite of a hungry bear emerging from hibernation.  

  • And it is only since I quit drinking that people have started to remark that my rotundity is lessening – which is encouraging.  

  • My sobriety is also especially nice for nephews when they surprise us by turning up unexpectedly in Belfast to have a kindly Aunt who can pick them up and carefully drive them to their granny’s house.

But then again…

But then again, again – Oh sod it. I’ll stay sober until October. Then we’ll see.

*Unlike Markham I’m not going purist and will allow myself the occasional brandy ball or wine gum.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found a Lizard in the Mournes, can you believe it?

This has no relation to your post at all. I just need to tell the world about the lizards that live in the Mournes.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to bring violence to such a kindly place but...

***mharrigan kicked beowulf

Nelly said...

But I already know this. I dragged Bert away from a programme about marine creatures to come and look too. He said it was a slow worm but I said you said it was a skink so he agreed. It was a beautiful picture too.

By the way I wrote you a comment about the bus incident. It was filled with wisdom and insights but somehow I lost it to the ether.

Nelly said...

Mark you must have been posting same time as me - why kick beowulf?

And haven't you noticed that I am often fantasising about doing imaginative violence to people and have a strange attraction for gun-totin' Texan pirates. Then there's my knife fetish that
Zoe has angsted about.

Anonymous said...

I kicked him because he's a silly boy, attempting to hijack your blog with his lizardy friend.

I have noticed your imaginary violence but it's done in such a nice way and I know you wouldn't really. :)

***After returning from Zoe's

Oooh, errrr. Methinks I'll be keeping an eye out for you when the train goes through Cullybackey.

Bliss said...

I congratulate and support your efforts at sobriety. To assist you, I shall be quite certain to consume your portion of the world's alcohol so that you won't be tempted by said portion. ;)

Nelly said...

To Mark - do not worry. Despite my efforts at becoming fitter I am not yet capable of leaping aboard a moving train clenching a large cook's knife between my teeth.

To Bliss - many thanks. Mine's a bottle of chilled white with a Laphroaig nightcap. Cheers. Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

I for one think it's my duty to inform the inhabitants of this fair isle that lizards have invaded. I mean People should be given this information so that they can make the nessessary arrangements. Maybe knowing this affects Nelly's sobriety, maybe it doesn't, maybe she'll upgrade the doors on the new house. Who knows what people will do with this information, WHO KNOWS!

Nelly said...

The last time I looked at a map the Mountains of Mourne were a fair bit away. Especially for a creature challenged in the leg department. So unless somebody gives it a lift. And even then there's Harry de Cat (the scourge of wildlife) and that madwoman who prowls Cully with mad staring eyes and a knife between her teeth. I'd say the Lizard wouldn't dare. Yours NIMBY

Anonymous said...

Nimby. You Ma'am, rock.