Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Then This Happened

Daddy had to go into hospital.

The staff at the nursing home were not happy with his response to the treatment of a recent throat infection. They thought it might have reached his chest In addition he was dehydrated. They can't do intravenous treatments in the home so he had to go to hospital.

He was admitted to A&E for assessment at around 2.30pm. I stayed with him until 7, then
my brother took over. The overworked staff in A&E do their very best in the hardest of circumstances but there are not enough of them. The unit is poorly designed and poorly equipped. To tell you the truth it is a scarey place.

Daddy was the oldest and frailest person there but the majority of patients were 60+. Some of them had waited for endless hours on uncomfortable trolleys. I actually saw one man who'd come in by ambulance laid on a mattress on the floor as all the trolleys were in use. After they'd decided to admit Daddy they told me that he would probably have to stay in A&E until morning at least. At that point I insisted he got a bed with a ripple mattress. When the bed came I was so relieved for him I almost wept. But the mattress was wrong so I had to keep on insisting on a ripple mattress. It came several hours later. It also took a long time for cot sides to be produced. I think a porter I got friendly with eventually nicked them off another patient.

Maybe some of the hardworking staff thought I was a demanding bitch but that is how I had to be to protect my father from the short comings of the modern National Health Service.

Please God he'll be stable soon that he can return to his angels in the nursing home.


Lost Identity said...

You poor dear. It's difficult enough to see your parents sick, let alone stay by their side for hours without having to do it in a scary place.

I hope tomorrow is better.

Anonymous said...

All the best, Nelly, to you and your dad.


Unknown said...

I hope all is well with your dad.

Nelly said...

Thanks for your kind words and thoughts.

Anonymous said...

My best wishes to you and your dad, it sounds like you're doing everything you can.

Anonymous said...

Having spent some time in hospitals recently, they are indeed grim, I hope you stick to you guns and get the best treatment.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours.

Nelly said...

I've just returned from visiting father. He is very comfortable and is rallying. We have high hopes that he'll live to dream another day. Thanks for all your kind thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

poor granda. you should have let me know. i have a good feeling that he will pull through though. send big cuddles to both granda and granny xxx