Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Political Thought For The Day

What's Your Political Persuasion?

You Are a "Don't Tread On Me" Libertarian
You distrust the government, are fiercely independent, and don't belong in either party. Religion and politics should never mix, in your opinion... and you feel opressed by both. You don't want the government to cramp your self made style. Or anyone else's for that matter. You're proud to say that you're pro-choice on absolutely everything!
So how does that translate into local politics then? Ian Paisley has been the MP for this constituency for longer than I've had a vote. I always vote and in all that time I've never put the big X beside his name. Because of this I've always had to think of my vote as a means of reducing his majority, never as a means to unseat him as that just isn't going to happen. The voters like him around these parts. And when he finally falls of his perch (he's 79) I reckon they'll continue to like his successor. For a while anyway. Ian Richard Kyle Paisley was born locally in 1926. Today I had conversations with two different women also born in 1926. The first - A South Antrim voter did not like me discussing an anti-SF voting strategy nor dissing SF supporters. She took palpitations and claimed 'not to be worth tuppence' after our debate. Memo to self - don't discuss politics with mother again. The second, a North Antrim voter said she didn't think she'd trouble hersel' voting this year. "Good-oh," says I. "Don't you bother supporting Big Ian and that'll be the same as me having two votes." She laughed heartily and threatened to poke me with her walking stick saying, "I'm away in now to hear if there's any more about the new Pope." That's what I like. People opening their minds, having a laugh, thinking outside the box and being tolerant of each other. That's what I'd like to be able to vote for.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you were only having a laugh when you were dissing SF voters?

Nelly said...

I would answer that if you removed the balaclava of anonymity.